When traveling on a budget, one of the most crucial factors to consider is where to stay. You don’t have to worry about where you’re sleeping, though, because the top hostels in Malaysia are available to accommodate you.
To assist you in your search for hostels for your next vacation, we’ve compiled a list of the Best Hostels in Malaysia based on their location, rates, amenities, and customer reviews.
Key Consideration Factors
- Location: Consider the location of the hostel in Malaysia. Look for hostels situated in convenient and safe areas, close to public transportation, attractions, and amenities. A central location can enhance your overall travel experience and make it easier to explore the surrounding areas.
- Price and Value: Evaluate the price of the hostel and compare it with the services and facilities offered. Look for hostels that provide good value for your money by offering comfortable accommodation, clean facilities, and helpful staff at a reasonable price.
- Facilities and Amenities: Check the facilities and amenities provided by the hostel. Look for essential amenities such as comfortable beds, clean bathrooms, communal areas, and secure storage. Additional amenities like Wi-Fi, laundry facilities, common kitchens, and social spaces can enhance your stay.
- Reviews and Ratings: Read reviews and ratings from previous guests to get an idea of their experiences. Pay attention to feedback regarding cleanliness, staff friendliness, security, and the overall atmosphere. Consider hostels with consistently positive reviews and high ratings.
- Safety and Security: Prioritize hostels that prioritize safety and security measures. Look for features like secure entry systems, lockers or safes for personal belongings, and 24-hour staff assistance. This will ensure peace of mind during your stay.
- Social Atmosphere: If you enjoy meeting other travelers and socializing, choose hostels that offer a vibrant social atmosphere. Look for hostels that organize activities, have communal spaces, or host events to encourage interaction among guests.
Best Hostel Malaysia
1. The Bed KLCC
|Key Services||Accommodation / Capsule hotel|
|Address||The Bed KLCC Capsule Hotel G1 Vortex KLCC 12 Jalan Sultan Ismail KL|
|Operating Hours||8am – 12am|
Introducing you one of the best hostels in Malaysia – The Bed KLCC. The Bed KLCC is a modern concept of luxurious capsuled style accommodation located in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. Designed to provide convenience, quality and genuine sense of community for all travellers at an affordable price.
- Best Location.
- Privacy provided.
- Excellent Hygiene.
One of the cleanest hostels we’ve been in KL. My wife is extremely pleased with the bathrooms and the beds. Facilities are well thought out and maintained.Daniel Chan
2. Birdnest Collective Cafe & Guesthouse
|Key Services||Hospitality / Hostel / Guesthouse|
|Address||210, Jalan Tun H S Lee, City Centre, 50000 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur|
|Operating Hours||10am – 10pm|
Strategically located in the hub of Petaling Street KL, Birdnest Collective Cafe & Guesthouse offers a unique boutique experience for comfort staying. Having the MRT and bus station within stone’s throw distance, the location provides convenience and easy commute to most tourist spots. The guesthouse has all air-conditioned rooms with en-suite bathrooms. It also features a large garden rooftop café for authentic western food, coffee, and cakes. A perfect chill out area to rest your feet and enjoy the sunset view over the city.
- Walking distance to public transport and petaling street.
- All rooms are air-conditioned and have an en-suit bathroom offers a cosy and comfortable stay.
- Easy access to markets, eateries, shopping and more.
We are very thankful to one of the employees. We had a problem and he was a great help. The staff was very welcoming and they arranged a nice room for us, even though we hadn’t booked one and showed up pretty late.
Trip Type: HolidayNico Reusch
3. Beds in Garden Hostel
|Key Services||Accommodation / Hostel|
|Address||AA, Lot 3435N, Jalan Jubilee, Jubilee Park, 30450 Ipoh,Perak, Malaysia|
|Phone||013-5333 190 / 05-2555 822|
|Operating Hours||2.30pm – 11pm|
What’s better than waking up with a great view of nature garden? That’s how Beds in Garden Hostel get their name literally. The Beds in Garden team are nature lovers and hope that like-minded individuals get the chance to stay in a place where plants are planted around the accommodation even in the city where buildings and traffic happens everyday.
Besides, they provide enough facilities for their beloved customers such as laundry for long term guest, gymnasium for gym lover, grocer market easier for guests to buy and cook at their pantry and also parking lot on-site. Within 1 minute walking distance, there is also an ATM machine located nearby.
- Value and Comfort – Great stay doesn’t have to cost a lot.
- Sunshine and Green – Not the ordinary concrete building as you think.
- Convenient – Located in the city center; everything you need just in walking distance.
Excellent location and very reasonable price. Within walking distance to convenience store, banks, shopping mall, hawker stores and foot massage centers. Most of all, this hostel is superb clean, tidy and quiet. The only down side may be is the tiny cubicle for single bed room.Jasmine Chong
4. PODs The Backpackers Home & Cafe
|Key Services||Accommodation / Hostel (for long term guests only during MCO), Cafe|
|Address||G-6, No 30, Jalan Thambipillay, Brickfields, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Phone||+60 3 2276 0858|
|Operating Hours||Monday to Friday: 10am – 8pm|
Saturday & Sunday: 10am – 7pm
A home and cafe for backpackers, travellers and local people, located in a colourful neighbourhood of Brickfields just a stone throw away from KL Sentral.
PODs The Backpackers Home & Cafe offers backpackers and tourists low-cost lodging. Their huge common area provides a comfortable and relaxed ambiance, with a green cafe serving a variety of food, including vegetarian and vegan options, as well as coffee, tea, fruit juices, and milkshakes.
They are an environmentally conscious hostel that uses metallic straws, paper bags, and makes every effort to decrease the use of single-use plastic. They also have their own stage where guests can jam together, and occasionally there’s live concerts too! The location is very convenient to catch buses to both airports, KLIA and KLIA2 as well as major attractions around.
- Clean, friendly and hospitable services just like home.
- Arrangement of tours and travels around Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia.
- Eco-friendly concept.
Quite a nice quiet small joint – a heaven for backpackers accommodation. English breakfast served. The rates are quite pocket friendly more-sore for budget travelers. Its a few meters to KL Central making connections to any part of Malaysia easily accessible including airport train, bus and taxi transportsamwel baker
5. Travel Hub Highstreet
|Key Services||Hostel / Long-term stay, Short-term stay|
|Address||13-1, Jalan Balai Polis, City Centre, 50000 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
Travel Hub KL is yet another fantastic social hostel in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The fantastic and warm atmosphere in their hostel attracts fellow travelers and long-term stay guests from all walks of life. The relaxed atmosphere encourages you to meet new people and have a good time with them.
Travel Hub KL is conveniently located near the LRT and is just steps away from all main transportation as well as the famed speakeasy bars, cafés, and night markets that give this city its legendary renown. It is also a short distance from late-night snacks and an array of coffee shops, shops, and tourist sites.
- A trendy rooftop bar for you to chill and hang out with your friends.
- Great amenities.
- Excellent location.
Really nice and clean guesthouse strategically located near the Pasar Seni LRT station. The common washroom is very clean and kept dry the most time. Nearby the guesthouse is also hipster place of cafes, restaurants, dessert, souvenirs, …Lee Xiang
Traveling on a budget is no longer a fad; it has evolved into a way of life. Fortunately, the top hostels in Malaysia are ideal for those on a tight budget while visiting Malaysia. When it comes to staying in hostels, there are numerous benefits. You will not only save money and meet new people, but travelling in groups has never been easier!
We hope that this list of the Best Hostels in Malaysia would be useful to you for your upcoming trip! Do visit one if you’re planning to stay long during MCO period or you may add this to your list for your next trip when the pandemic situation gets better!
If you enjoy reading this article, do check out some other interesting articles as well.
- Best Hostels in Johor Bahru (2023)
- Best Hostels in KL & Selangor (2023)
- Best Co-Living Spaces in KL & Selangor (2023)
- Best Hostels in Penang (2023)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If you have any questions about Hostels in Malaysia, you can refer to the frequently asked questions (FAQ) about the best Hostels in Malaysia below:
What is a hostel?
A hostel is a budget-friendly accommodation option that provides dormitory-style rooms or private rooms with shared facilities such as bathrooms, kitchens, and common areas. Hostels are popular among travelers, especially backpackers, as they offer affordable rates and a social atmosphere.
Why should I choose a hostel in Malaysia?
Choosing a hostel in Malaysia offers several advantages. Firstly, hostels are budget-friendly, allowing you to save money on accommodation and allocate your budget towards exploring the country. Secondly, hostels often provide a vibrant and social atmosphere, giving you the opportunity to meet fellow travelers from around the world. Lastly, hostels are available in various locations across Malaysia, making it easier to access popular attractions and explore the local culture.
What should I consider when choosing a hostel in Malaysia?
When choosing a hostel in Malaysia, consider factors such as location, price, facilities, reviews, safety, cleanliness, staff friendliness, social atmosphere, and unique features. Look for hostels that are centrally located, offer affordable rates, provide essential amenities, have positive reviews, prioritize safety and cleanliness, have friendly staff, promote social interactions, and offer unique experiences or facilities.
Are hostels in Malaysia safe?
Yes, hostels in Malaysia prioritize the safety and security of their guests. Many hostels have security measures in place, such as secure entry systems, lockers or safes for personal belongings, and 24-hour staff assistance. It’s always recommended to choose hostels with positive reviews regarding safety and security.
Can I book a private room in a hostel in Malaysia?
Yes, many hostels in Malaysia offer private rooms in addition to dormitory-style rooms. Private rooms provide more privacy and are suitable for individuals, couples, or small groups who prefer a more secluded accommodation option.
How do I find the best hostels in Malaysia?
To find the best hostels in Malaysia, you can start by researching online travel platforms, review websites, and booking platforms. Read reviews from previous guests to get insights into their experiences. Consider the location, facilities, price, and overall reputation of the hostels to make an informed decision. Additionally, seek recommendations from fellow travelers or friends who have visited Malaysia before.